This book provides a working knowledge of those parts of exterior differential forms, differential geometry, algebraic and differential topology, Lie groups, vector bundles, and Chern forms that are helpful for a deeper understanding of both classical and modern physics and engineering. It is ideal for graduate and advanced undergraduate students of physics, engineering or mathematics as a course text or for self study. A main addition introduced in this Third Edition is the inclusion of an Overview, which can be read before starting the text. This appears at the beginning of the text, before Chapter 1. Many of the geometric concepts developed in the text are previewed here and these are illustrated by their applications to a single extended problem in engineering, namely the study of the Cauchy stresses created by a small twist of an elastic cylindrical rod about its axis.
You may also like
Presented as an engaging discourse, this textbook invites readers to delve into the historical origins and uses of geometry. The narrative traces the influence...
Projective geometry is one of the most fundamental and at the same time most beautiful branches of geometry. It can be considered the common foundation of many...
- Geometry For Dummies, 3rd Edition PDF
- Geometry Through History Euclidean, Hyperbolic, and Projective Geometries PDF
- Handbook of Seafood and Seafood Products Analysis PDF
- Important Figures of Analytical Chemistry from Germany in Brief Biographies From the Middle Ages to the Twentieth Century PDF
- Perspectives on Projective Geometry A Guided Tour Through Real and Complex Geometry PDF